This tutorial is intended to introduce you to the CodeIgniter4 framework and the basic principles of MVC architecture. It will show you how a basic CodeIgniter application is constructed in a step-by-step fashion.
If you are not familiar with PHP, we recommend that you check out the W3Schools PHP Tutorial before continuing.
In this tutorial, you will be creating a basic news application. You will begin by writing the code that can load static pages. Next, you will create a news section that reads news items from a database. Finally, you'll add a form to create news items in the database.
This tutorial will primarily focus on:
- Model-View-Controller basics
- Routing basics
- Form validation
- Performing basic database queries using CodeIgniter's "Query Builder"
The entire tutorial is split up over several pages, each explaining a small part of the functionality of the CodeIgniter framework. You'll go through the following pages:
- Introduction, this page, which gives you an overview of what to expect.
- Static pages, which will teach you the basics of controllers, views and routing.
- News section, where you'll start using models and will be doing some basic database operations.
- Create news items, which will introduce more advanced database operations and form validation.
- Conclusion, which will give you some pointers on further reading and other resources.
Enjoy your exploration of the CodeIgniter framework.